15/10/2009

The Journal of Jane Paterson

14/10/1066

Hello, My name is Jane. I am 12. I live on a farm with my parents and my sister Elisabeth who is 10. We own many cattle and chickens and it is my job to take care of them. On the morning of October 14, 1066 I went outside to do my chores. Elisabeth was bringing the cattle in and mother was helping father pick wheat. All of a sudden I herd drums and the stomping of horse hoofs. I dropped the feed and ran outside. Mother and father had heard the noises to and told me to go get Elisabeth. I ran as fast as I could to her and told her about the noises. We rushed the cattle in and ran to mother and father. Thousands of men marched to the near fields. Then more men in the other direction marched to the same field. Both stopped. We ran inside to be safe. Then we heard yelling. I looked out the kitchen window and saw the men charging each other to attack. They fought on and on without stopping. Mother and Father told us to stay inside, to stay safe, and hidden. I felt fear inside me but I stayed strong for Elisabeth. The screams of men echoed in my ears. The men fought all through the night. When I awoke in the morning it was silent. I looked out the window and the men were leaving. Thousands of dead men lay on the ground. I will never forget October 14, 1066, the day of the Battle of Hastings.

BY: Cecilia Nygren

No comments:

Post a Comment