29/10/2009

The Battle of Hastings: a journal by Elana

My name is Elena and I love nature, and know a lot about what is going on in my country. I am living in a village where we are surrounded by trees and fields. I live in a small reasonably clean sheltered area, and have heard that Edward The Confessor has died. Today is the 5th of January 1066 and is a day to remember. I already know that he doesn`t have any children and now I know that there will be fighting for the crown. I`m not quite sure who will now be king, but I know that I would like Harold Godwineson to become King because he is the brother-in-law of Edward and because he is also English, just like me.

Here in the village people are nice and caring and we all are hoping for the best to come out of what has happened. Some people say that Harald Hardraada will become king and others say William, Duke of Normandy could become king.

As months go by I survive on stolen food, I hear that Harold needs men to fight for him, but I am not allowed to fight. Every man in the village has to leave their homes and families and go to war to fight for Harold. After a few days I hear some good news, finally. Harold has fought against the Vikings with their leader Harald Hardraada, and has defeated them. Hip hip, hurray!










On the 28th of September, William is invading the coast of England with 2000 foot soldiers and 100 ships. Once I heard that, I was fealing scared and worried, also for all the men from the village having to go to war. The village is more empty and their families are more alone than ever. So, I found out from another woman in my village, since I was so interrested in what was going on, that Harold was now heading south to fight William for the crown.



Today I have made up my mind to try, and watch the battle. Suddenly, I see a beautiful brown horse eating grass in a field near by with no-one watching it. I make my way towards the horse and quickly climb onto its back and start my journey.

In the distance I suddenly see an enormous old oak tree with branches winding all around. Up on a hill there are thousands of soldiers preparing to meet their enemies. They all are wearing chain mail armour which shine in the sun. I am riding towards the old oak tree and realise that it would make a fantastic place to hide and watch the battle of Hastings. So I climb up the tree and look through the leaves. After a while I notice that someone else has arrived. I recognise the two ladies standing beneath me. It is the woman that Harold loved, called Edith The Swan Neck, and Harold`s mother Gytha.

The soldiers weapons look very dangerous. I can just about see the anger on some soldiers faces and in others their anxiety. Now I see the leader, Harold on his horse at the front of his army. I could tell that Edith The Swan Neck was upset and scared by this war. I can also hear the horses hooves and the heavy breathing of them as well. Harold quickly makes some signals and so does William, and they both shout as everyone charges forward.

I can hear voices from underneath me. Edith and Harolds mother are saying that the fighting is taking place on the sight of Battle Abbey. From up in this old oak tree I can smell Edith and Gythas perfume. I see the archers firing their arrows high in the air. They are flying like waves through the air and some arrows even collide with each other. OH MY GOSH! Harold has an arrow heading straight for him and it penetrates through the hole in his armour into his eye. He is dead! Today is the 14th of October, I just thought whoever will read this may like to know.

After the battle, when there were no more soldiers to be seen walking around, Edith The Swan Neck went running out to the dead men. She took nearly every soldiers chain mail armour off to be able to recognize her beloved Harold by his tatoos on his body, and on one of the men she stopped. She is crying, I also felt sorry for her but new I must get back home and explain what happened to the people in the village.

I have now arrived in the village and brought the horse back to the field. I went to go tell everything to the ladies in the village and the tragedy of Harolds death.

After that, I know that this battle will stay in my mind forever. I promise myself never to play a killing game with other children in the village because I am so frightened after what has happened and what I saw.

Today, is Christmas day 1066 and William is crowning himself king of England in Westminster Abbey. But I`m not going to watch because I will not be able to bear the thought of him being crowned King. So from today and onwards, I also know that he will be known as William the Conqueror.

by Antonia Jane Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment