15/10/2009

Introduction -01.10.2009
I have agreed to go on a mission to find out what really happened in 1066(the battle of Hastings). To do this I shall use a time traveler (a time machine). Once the battle has started I will come back to my own time and give an account on what had happened in October 1066. The time traveler will update me on my accent and my skills and it shall also change my clothing and it will give me the appearance of a young archer. I have chosen this as it seems to be the safest position to be in during a battle. I shall serve under William, Duke of Normandy.

Diary entry one - 01.10.1066
The time travel machine worked perfectly although it felt prickly and I could not move my body for the time of my journey. I am now in the outfit of a Norman archer, going by the name Guy de Cleres. By the way, clothing in 1066 sucked - it is scratchy, unpleasant, and brown in colour; I wish I could wear my comfy jeans....
William`s forces had just arrived in England and set up camp near Hastings. I was immediately part of his troops and besides daily battle practise we were raiding the surrounding villages for food. (Luckily, as an archer I was excluded from the raiding).


Entry two -01.10.1066
We had a lovely feast in the evening but unfortunately I lost my time traveller and am now stuck in 1066 I shall search for it tomorrow morning. I found out that there is a medieval toothbrush!! It is a twig of liquorice - the twig is chewed until one end gets soft and stringy. This end is then used to polish the teeth and leaves a good taste in the mouth. Unfortunately many people don’t use it and so most people’s breath stinks like hell. Many of these guys have rotten or even missing teeth.


Entry three -02.10.1066
I have to clear camp with the others and I was assigned the rubbish heap, the stink is horrible and there is no shower. I have had no time to search for the time traveller. At least William has enough food. I absolutely hate this one officer who makes everybody run around in the rain while he stays beneath a tent roof. I wish more than ever to find the time traveller: this place stinks.


Entry four -02.10.1066
Forget what I told you before about the usual Norman army food -looks, smells and tastes horrible; now I understand why the other soldiers were so happy yesterday. But it does keep you going. Unlike Harold`s army who as I hear is running out of food.



Entry five -04.10.1066
I have a new friend - he has served the Norman army for ages and he is an archer as well. He tells me that deserters are treated very badly and I don’t think I will be able to get the time traveller back until William and other people in a high position are distracted enough.
Entry Six -10.10.1066
Food is running out!!! Remember I said that William had enough food – I was wrong: we are more than 5000 men and all the farmers around Hastings have nothing left for us to eat. William must fight as soon as possible. We suspect that William has burnt all the Norman boats to prevent any soldiers from deserting, so it will be win or die for us. (I hope not for me!).

My archery skills are not good enough for the army so I will have a few problems fitting in, fortunately my friend is helping me . He thinks that I have trained for something else. I have already improved a lot. The bows are up to two meters long! The arrows coming of these bows can easily reach heights of twenty meters and can kill a man from above.


Entry Seven – 14.10.1066
Early morning and I know, this is the day!! Harold has appeared and his army has gone over the spot were I left the time traveller; now I will have to stay till the end of the battle. I hope I will survive, this was not planned.
As soon as he heard of Harold`s arrival, William gave the signal for his army to move towards the enemy. Harold had chosen the better position as we had to fight uphill but luckily Harold had a forest at his back, thereby removing any chance of a controlled retreat. Negotiations were not successful and soon the battle began. Harold`s men defended themselves through forming a wall with their shields, while William`s strategy was to keep the enemy under constant pressure. William used a strategy of mixed attacks of cavalry, footmen and archers who attacked in turns so the other men could get some rest. The battle went on for hours and neither of them seemed to be winning. We all got more and more tired but we could see the enemy strength was dropping far more quickly than ours. By now my arms were so sore and heavy I thought I could not go on much longer. I was glad though that I never had to fight in close combat where all the blood spluttered around and men died.

Eventually one of Williams regiments made a run for it and broke the attacking line which made Harold`s men believe that they were winning and ran after them. It was one of William`s tricks though and our soldiers turned back and slaughtered them as they were no longer protected by the shield wall. Still the fight went on until suddenly Harold`s flag went down – an arrow had hit him from above and he died. After seeing their leader dead, most of Harold`s army made a run for the woods.



Entry eight – 14.10.1066
After the battle was finally over, William was in much of a hurry to get on to London in order to have himself crowned as the new and rightful kind of England. This was my perfect chance to get back home and in all the excitement nobody, not even my friend, noticed that I sneaked away to find the time traveller.
Entry Nine – 1.10.2009
I am back! I can still not believe that I have really made it back. I am full with impressions and news and can`t wait to tell everyone about what I have experienced and that I have fought in the Battle of Hastings, with William the Conqueror.
Now I can finally take a shower!

(by Ben)

No comments:

Post a Comment