30/10/2012

Robert Bound


The Battle of Hastings 1066

31 September 1066
Last week was the battle of Stamford Bridge. Today we Saxons, left to travel down south to meet the Normans. I am scared, but I’m a soldier and shouldn’t be. You see a couple months ago, I along with other peasants in my village we were told that we must join the Saxon Army. I was worried because all I know is how to farm. I had absolute no experience as a soldier. Today we walked 30 miles. This journey will be long and hard. I am lucky I’m not a Housecarl because then I would have to carrying 50 pounds of chain mail! I am part of the Fyrd, men who are forced to fight even with absolute lack of experience. I carry an axe and shield. Now and then, I did get to use a sling for firing stones in the battlefield. We have no chainmail, which can be good for walking but terrible for fighting. Luckily, I always end up at the back of the army so I am less likely to get killed. The journey has been very long and my feet feel like they were going to fall off. The king hardly lets us stop to rest. Harold Godwineson is determined to beat the Normans more then he was determined to beat the Vikings in the recent battle. I know I am a soldier and should be brave but I’m terrified. I wish I could go back to my small village and farm. I absolutely hate being a soldier. King Harold let us stop for a few hours to rest but I was so tense the whole time. I couldn’t even think straight because I was so nervous. I hate the Housecarls; there are so bossy and loud. The king is frightening and seems very stressed. I feel dirty and my stomach rarely gets full. My shield and axe are tremendously heavy. During the rest, I barely close my eyes because soon enough the king hurries us up and we’re back to marching. We are not even close to Sussex where the Normans were said to be. How can we win this battle? What would England be like if we lost this battle? I can’t stand all the blood and gruesomeness. I can’t kill someone without flinching. Oh how I wish England could be a peaceful place again!

Signed,
Robert Bound, Saxon Soldier, Member of the Fyrd
The Battle Of Hastings

16th October 1066
The battle of Hastings happened 2 days ago on the 14th of October 1066. It started at 9:00 in the morning. We could all feel the tension and the nervous energy. I was scared out of my wits but stood strong. We were stood on top of Senlac Hill, which gave us a slight advantage. We were packed together so tightly I couldn’t feel my arms. Our shields were pressed together. Our shield wall was our best defence because when layered together side by side, we created a huge, strong wall that we knew nobody could break. We waited for the Normans to make a move first and they did. The Norman archers shot their arrows towards us but failed and fell short. Most of them just stuck to our shields. Then a few minutes later William ordered his soldiers to charge uphill and that’s when we starting pelting them with arrows, spears and sling stones. Unfortunately, many Normans survived and started fighting hand on hand with swords. But still, they did not break our shield wall. When William realized his army was not getting anywhere he ordered his Calvary, which were the men on horseback. We fought on them too and they also could not break our shield wall. At about midday, the Normans fled down the hill chased by some of our English soldiers. But this ruined our shield wall. Now there was a huge gap! William chased after our broken up soldiers and soon enough, both sides had lost many men. We closed the gap quickly and stood firm on the ridge. Then suddenly William ordered the Calvary to charge. They charged but then turned around and fled. We believed that the Normans had retreated so almost all of us chased after them. This was a huge mistake because it had broken up the shield wall! The Normans pelleted us with arrows and soon everyone in our army was pretty much dead. The Normans were scary and fierce. When the arrows pelted us, I got hit on the arm. Blood was pouring out but I had to keep fighting. I also got one on my leg but the wound wasn’t as deep. I could hear screams of pain and the death cry of soldiers. They said King Harold had died with an arrow in his eye but I am not entirely sure. This symbolized that Anglo-Saxon England was gone and we had lost the battle. I was lucky I didn’t get killed but I am deeply wounded. The Normans have taken charge now. All the survivors must go home and live a new way of life. Never will life be the same again.

Signed,
Robert Bound
Anglo-Saxon soldier
Member of the Fyrd

(By: Mia)

No comments:

Post a Comment