30/10/2012

Cernin Moreu


    28th of September 2066

Here I am, standing at the ship’s bow, my eyes focused on the coast that was emerging before us; we were about 700 ships, between Normans, French, Britons, Flanders. We had finally arrived at Pevensey, the south of England, as the wind was in our favor, after a wait that had felt like eternity. I couldn’t believe it. I, Cernin Moreu, son of a fisher, who had never left my small village, Barfleur, or my wife and children, was heading towards England, to fight against Harold Godwinson’s army. We were an army of around 7,000 men. Most of us made our living by fishing, so we didn’t know that much about fighting skills, apart from the training we did during the six weeks we were waiting for good weather. We were there, as part of the agreement with our landlord. Some though, participated in the army in return of money.
I felt scared of the thought; I had never gone to a battle before. My feet were trembling. In one hand, I held my short bow, and the other, was smoothing my long, red robe, over my blue field pants. This was fear I had never felt before, over my 32 years I have lived.
When we landed at Pevensey, William, Duke of Normandy, also known as William the Bastard, ordered some of the boats to be symbolically burnt, while the rest were dismantled and pulled ashore. I felt relieved of finally getting to touch English land. William seemed excited, he gripped with passion the holy relic of St Peter, which he wore around his neck; he was waiting for this moment, since Harold Godwinson was crowned king. 2 years ago, Harold Godwinson swore an oath to Duke William, promising that he would be loyal to him, and to help him become king, with all his power. The most truthful men were there, and said that he made the promise of his own free will. For us Normans, the oath is very important, and Harold broke his oath. This is another reason why William decided to invade, with the support of the pope.


                                       29th of September 1066

Today, is the second day in England. All of our strength is addressed to build a wooden fortress within the ruins of the old Roman fort at Pevensey. Here, we feel a bit like home, as this castle has been brought in pieces from Normandy and assembled onshore. After the work was completed, kind William rewarded us with fish conserved in salt with rye bread, and tasty wine. This was our first meal since we landed on English Soil.
Soon, William felt that Pevensey had certain strategic disadvantages, as there was not enough room to muster and maneuver. We realized how impatient he was. Suddenly a rumor spread amongst us, about Harold’s great victory at Stamford Bridge, eight miles east of York. Harald Hardrada was dead. A strange feeling possessed us, on one hand, one of our threats had disappeared, but on the other hand, Harold seemed to have gotten stronger.
                                         30th of September 1066
It dawned rainy and cloudy, with so much fog, we could barely see two steps forward. The moisture gnawing my bones. My boots, inherited from my father, caused me severe chafing, which made me suffer a lot of pain. Oh, I missed so much those plants my beloved wife used to make that poultice with, which did me so well. But I haven’t come this far, to complain, I am fighting for Normandy, and Duke William (even though I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting him).
                                            

14th of October 1066
Today is the day expected. I had no sleep, I figure as any other in the camp. We had bread with milk for breakfast. Today, we all have a place in History. We cannot fail.
When we arrived to Senlac hill, near Hastings, we found Harold’s army already formed up 10 or 12 ranks deep along a high ridge blocking our path. In that moment, I felt more than terrified, was this going to be my end? King Harold had advantage, as he was at the top of the hill, which meant we would have to fight up-hill. At the bottom of the ridge, the ground was marshy. We negotiated in a narrow strip in the center, which was the only firm enough part.                  I looked at the sky, judging by the light blue colors it was around 9.00am, when us, the archers moved forward. Both of my hands gripping the bow, the bow pointing up sky towards the sun, and my left hand moving backwards, with still a grip at the bow. Then William shouted,  “fire!” that’s when my left hand let go of the bow. All the arrows flew up, and then eventually down, but the effect wasn’t very big, as a wall of Saxon shields stopped the arrows. Then, there were spears thrown at us, and the man I had next to me got hit by one. Next, our infantry went in. But English axes cut them down. I felt like running away. I was so scared, with the noise, it all made it worse. However, when out cavalry pulled back, they were chased by some undisciplined English. The English wall broke off, and we were able to defeat.
In the battlefield, each gave the best we had. During the battle, the noise was deafening. The clash of metal, the screams of men, the horses’ gallops. I’ve seen horrific images, which I’ll never be able to forget. The fear and adrenaline made forget the pain and fatigue. But all our effort was worth it, as us The Normans won.

(Claudia)

No comments:

Post a Comment