30/10/2012

A Soldier


Soldier
Journal Entry 1
Dear Diary,
Yesterday we had our battle against the Vikings. It was quiet easy to beat them because they were not expecting us to come at that time. We were travelling very fast. While we were celebrating, the messengers came and told us some very bad news. William the Duke of Normandy invaded England for the throne. The other bad news were that he invaded it on the other part of England if looking at where we were. We were confused, while we were celebrating the win against the Vikings the wind changed and it let them conquer England. Harold is angry at William and he couldn’t even go to sleep. He told us that tomorrow we are going to the south of England, to fight William. It will be a very hard battle for us, but we need to defeat them so that England could remember us. The people who fought with two armies in two weeks. The ones that saved England from two invaders. When we had our diner, everyone was so quiet because they were thinking about how long it will take for us to travel to the south and how we will fight them. Ok, it is already time to rest, I don't want to miss my sleep time.

Journal Entry 2
Dear Diary,
Today we are setting off to go to the south part of England and still Harold is not feeling well, but we believe that we still could win the battle. We are so confused about how fortunate we were when we fought the Vikings and how unfortunate we are now when we need to fight a stronger army. Harold is so angry at William that he already cursed him a lot of times. It is not funny at all because we have to travel to the south and that is a very long distance. The messengers came today and told us news that are not good for us. William is burning down houses and killing people that are trying to save England. When Harold heard that news, he told us that we are not going to rest in London so if someone is not strong enough to fight they could run away. No one did because they knew that there is also a long distance to London. Everyone thought that we will win the battle. Our supplies are nearly finished and that is why we are not resting much. This were the worst days of our lives. Ok, I think it is time for me to go.

Journal Entry 3
Dear Diary,
Today is the second day of our adventurous travelling to the battle with William the Duke of Normandy. We are all tired, but Harold told us what we have to do in the battle. He told us that we should start with a shield wall and hold it until they tired of breaking it. When they will be tired or if they will be tired, we will attack. The weather was very windy and it was nice for the battle. When it is too sunny, I ccouldn't fight because it is very hot in the gear I am wearing. Harold is now less angry at William, but he still wants to kill William. The others are more not thinking about the battle, not like me. My heart is in the battle and I want this time to go past very fast, so that it is like there is no battle. I want the world to be peaceful because many people are thinking of invading another country. I don't think that we could actually win this battle because it will be very hard for us of this long travelling. Still we saved our time by not going to London to get supplies and rest. It is very hard by not resting and not having enough food. We are all begging the God to let us win this battle and just rest by being the heros of the country. I have to go now, we are going to the place where we will make history.

Journal Entry 4
Dear Diary,
Today is our fourth day of travelling and I am already tired of two things: writing everything that happened in the journal and travelling a very long way to the south of England. I am so bored that I don't really feel like eating food. No one is talking to me, except Harold when he tells us what we have to do in the battle and when the messengers come to tell us what bad things are happening with England. They tell us news that are worse and worse. William actually does bad things to England. The one thing that he doesn't do the things that he has rules with. He doen't kill innocent people, pregnant women, babies or children that are small. William does kill people that want to save England because he wants them to get out of the way. He really wants to get the crown and I believe that Edward the Confessor promised him the throne. This debate about the throne is so confusing, but there are only two people left that could get the throne. It would've been way easier if Edward would've had children that could've taken the throne without even having this massive wars between each other. It is nearly time to go to sleep, so I think that I don't have much time to write evrything that happened in the journal, but I will write the most of it. About the battle, it will be very good because Harold and William are both good leaders, so I think that both armies have the same chances of winning. Except, we are so tired that we could barely move ourselves, that is why we have a defensive tactic. I think that this the time I have to go to sleep.

Journal Entry 5
Dear Diary,
Today is our fifth day of travelling already and we are near the place where we meet William. We are so ready, but still we are tired. We could already see the smoke from the burning houses. We couldn't really see the town because of the smoke around it. We sat a camp and we have people that check that no Norman comes to our camp. The whole evening we were planning about how we win the battle. If they do everything that we think they will do, we will probably win the battle. We are quiet nervous because we could all die or some of us will stay alive. They have reputation about their army because they don't drink and they have many laws. William is very strict to them. I know this by the messengers who disguised themselves as Norman fighters. Harold was feeling quiet sick and tired, so he went to sleep early. All of Saxon soldiers were hoping that he will be alright because we need a leader that will tell us what to do if something goes wrong. None of us soldiers could replace Harold because he is one of a million. He is strong and powerful, he is also not fearful. The thing that is very good about him is that he is not afraid of fighting near us. Sometimes leaders don't like fighting because they only like being the leader or the head of everyone, telling everyone what to do and where to go. It is also time for me to go to sleep, it is early, but I need to be ready for the battle.

Journal Entry 6
Dear Diary,
Today is a very sunny day which is not ok by me because it will be very hot. I am unfortunate again and again it is very bad. I am not feeling well and my legs are tired of travelling without resting much. Now we could see the houses with roofs or some furnace missing. Then we saw a very big crowd of people directed to our camp. They were looking like soldiers, they were Normans. We all quickly got all our gear and weapons with shields. I twas time, time my heart was racing so fast. We stood at the hill and it was a very good position to be in. They had many people: archers, knights and soldiers. They had three times more than our army did, but it was not about the number of people, it was about how strong and not fearful they were. We made our shield and they started shooting arrows, but they couldn't get us because we were up the hill. They had a lot of arrows that looked like a rain when they were flying into our shields or above our heads. When they found out that the arrows were not damaging us, they started moving and that is what we wanted. We threw our axes and spears without even thinking that we will nedd them to fight. They couldn't break through our shield wall.

Journal Entry 7
Dear Diary,
They couldn't break our shield wall for aprozimattely an hour. Then they started running back, we ran after them and then found out that we broke our shield wall. They were ahlfway to win the battle. Their cavalry started moving and killing many of many friends. It was scary, there was a lot of blood and then I don't know what really happened to me. I turned around and just ran away. I ran away from the battle that I was thinking about. I heard many screams and one of them was someones that cried about Harold being dead. When I heard that I knew that we lost the battle. It was very quiet. I came back to the place where we had our battle. There were no Normans, only dead bodies of my friends. I saw the body of Harold Godwinson and I made a grove for him. I couldn't believe that we or Saxons lost the battle and now William was the King of England. It was all my fault thet Harold died I shouldn't have gone away. I lied down near the grove and peacefully died near the person that I think was only one of. This is the end of a normal person that was asked to join the army. It was not a very peaceful life, but there were some happy moments when I just wanted to burst out laughing.

(Alimzhan)

No comments:

Post a Comment